Zina is one of the major sins as well. Adultery or fornication has various types and darajat (categories)of Zina. Some categories are worse than others. It is a sin which is considered a Hudd sin. In Quran, this sin is mentioned several times. Zina includes extramarital sex and premarital sex.
Zina is the Islamic term for adultery. It means the unlawful sexual relations with someone. A sexual relation out of wedlock is Zina.
History of adultery
When prophet Adam (AS) passed away, Satan invented music ( see music in prohibitions). People started to engage in parties and the people of mountains and ground started to mix together and from here the adultery started. This was the time when adultery took place on a big scale. Then, adultery was also very common at time of Prophet (PBUH). Even Sahabas were involved in these types of acts because it was not prohibited but permitted like in western countries. But then verses of Quran came and prohibited them and cleaned the society from this very bad sin.
Why it is prohibited
Just like murder is the killing of ones body, Zina is killing of ones soul. The effects of Zina ruins ones soul.
Effects of Zina
There are many effects of Zina
- If a woman indulges in fornication in a very early age, she may become mature by body but her mental status remains immature. She starts thinking that she is only valued for sex and it is her only escape.
- Many mental problems can overcome her mind like depression, loneliness, anxiety, isolation, lack of education, stress of babies as well if she have any as a result of this fornication.
- The social and marital life is ruined.
- It is religiously, ethically and morally wrong.
- Many incurable diseases can be developed in the bodies of those who have done Zina.
Types of Zina
Having relations with woman not permitted to marry
A person if establishes sexual relations with a woman who is mehram for him in the view of Islam e.g. sister, mother, sister in law, aunts etc is doing Zina. This is the worst type of Zina. The more closer the relation is, the more bad it is.
Old man committing Zina
An old man who is near to his death and his urge to sexual needs dies as well but he still does Zina is the worst sinner.
The mutta marriage means a temporary marriage. It was permissible once but later on during war of Makkah, our beloved Prophet (PBUH) abrogated it. It was actually a type of Zina because a marriage which is intended to remain only for a short period is not a marriage. ( refer to marriage in Islam)
Living together after 3 divorces
There was a time when people give many divorces but still live with the same wife. After three divorces the wife become haram for husband (refer to topic of divorce). If husband and wife still lives with each other then it is also called as Zina and they are punishable.
Nikkah with intention to divorce
If a person marries a woman or woman marries a man with the intention to divorce him or her soon in order to marry his or her previous spouse is also considered as a batil marriage and the sexual relation in result of that marriage is actually adultery.
A marriage where a person suggests other to marry his daughter or sister without dowry and let him marry his daughter or sister without dowry is also haram and results in adultery. Such type of exchange marriages are not allowed in Islam
It is also a type of adultery which is one of the worst types of Zina.
Sexual intercourse with animals
A person who makes sexual intercourse with an animal also commits Zina.
Zina of body parts
Looking at na mehram or watching others body parts is equivalent to Zina of eyes, talking with na mehram is Zina of tongue, listening to unethical things or songs which can incite the feelings of Zina is Zina of ears, touching na mehram is Zina of hands, going to do un-Islamic acts is Zina of foot etc.
Punishment of Zina
A person who is unmarried when commits Zina whether man or woman then he is liable to 100 lashes and for 1 year he should be thrown out of the town.
A person, who is married whether man or woman, should be stoned to death.
Proof of Zina
Accusation of Zina should be proved by four witnesses.
Secondly, a confession repeated four times is also a proof of Zina.
Those who commit zina of your woman, bring against them four witnesses from among you. And if they testify then confine the woman in the houses until death takes them or Allah ordains for them. Surah al Nissa verse 5
Witnesses of Zina
A witness of Zina should acquire these qualities
- Aware of religious obligations
- Perform religious duties
If witnesses take back testimony
If any or all of the witnesses take back their testimony then the accused persons will be set free but the witnesses will be punished for giving false testimony. They are liable of eighty lashes punishment.
How to resist Zina
- One should marry at early age.
- A person should follow the example of prophet Yousaf, he was the most beautiful person on earth but he avoids Zina (offered by a woman) just for the love and fear of Allah.
- One should know that the spiritual dignity is more important than the looks and sins.
- One should remember that love is a commitment and if one said that they will surely marry you after Zina then he is only playing.
- Self-obsession should be avoid to avoid Zina.
Quran and Zina
- And do not approach Zina. Indeed, it is ever an immorality and is evil as a way. Surah bani Israel verse 32
- The woman or man found guilty of Zina, lash each one of them with 100 lashes. And do not be taken by pity for them in the religion of Allah. Surah un Noor verse 2.
- And those who do not invoke with Allah another deity or kill the soul which Allah has forbidden except by right and do not commit zina. And whoever should do that will meet a penalty. Surah al Furqan verse 68
- And those who guard their private parts. Surat al Marij verse 29
Hadith about Zina
- Allah’s messenger says that receive teachings from me. Allah has ordained the ways for those , when an unmarried male commits adultery with an unmarried woman , one hundred lashes and banishment for year. And in case of married male committing zina with married female then one hundred lashes and stoned to death. Sahih muslim book of punishments hadith 4414
If you find any mistake in this article please fell free to contact us and point it out. we will try to correct it in the light of Quran and Sunnah. May this effort of ours ease the way of jannah for our family. May Allah bless us all with authentic knowledge of Islam.