Surah Bakarah is the longest surah of Quran. This is the second surah and it is one of most important surahs in Quran. There are many commandments and prohibitions in this surah as well. Let us put some light on it.
Meaning of Bakarah
Bakarah means cow. The name of this Surah was given due to the story of a cow mentioned in this Surah in verses 67-73.
Revelation of Surah Bakarah
Surah al Bakarah is a Madani Surah and it is the longest surah of Quran with 286 verses. Surah Al Bakarah is the longest surah and revealed over a long period of time. It is said that the last verses of this Surah were revealed during the Hajj performed by our Holy Prophet (p.b.u.h).
Narrated Yusuf bin Mahk: While I was with Aisha, the mother of the Believers, a person from Iraq came and asked, What type of shroud is the best? `Aisha said, May Allah be merciful to you! What does it matter? He said, O mother of the Believers! Show me (the copy of) your Qur’an, She said, Why? He said, In order to compile and arrange the Qur’an according to it, for people recite it with its Suras not in proper order. `Aisha said, What does it matter which part of it you read first? (Be informed) that the first thing that was revealed thereof was a Sura from Al-Mufassal, and in it was mentioned Paradise and the Fire. When the people embraced Islam, the Verses regarding legal and illegal things were revealed. If the first thing to be revealed was: ‘Do not drink alcoholic drinks.’ people would have said, ‘We will never leave alcoholic drinks,’ and if there had been revealed, ‘Do not commit illegal sexual intercourse, ‘they would have said, ‘We will never give up illegal sexual intercourse.’ While I was a young girl of playing age, the following Verse was revealed in Mecca to Muhammad: ‘Nay! But the Hour is their appointed time (for their full recompense), and the Hour will be more grievous and more bitter.’ (54.46) Sura Al-Baqara (The Cow) and Surat An-Nisa (The Women) were revealed while I was with him. Then `Aisha took out the copy of the Qur’an for the man and dictated to him the Verses of the Suras (in their proper order) . Sahih bukhari book of virtues of Quran, hadith 4993
Explanation of Surah Bakarah
The subject matter of this surah is diverse.
1. It deals with examples about hypocrites, Jews and idolaters of the times of Adam, Moses and Ibrahim from which Allah is advising the non muslims whether to embrace Islam or be ready for the day of judgement to pay for their sins.
2. Some verses of this Surah tell about the qualities of a hypocrate. When our Holy Prophet (p.b.u.h) moved to Madinah, he had to deal with hypocrites. Then the verses helped him to identify the hypocrites of Madinah.
3. Some verses also tell us about the importance and significance of Quran.
4. The rulings about Fasting, Salah, Zakat, Hajj, battles in Islam, alcohol or intoxicated beverages, gambling, testaments, interest(usury),debt, wills, retaliation, divorce, marriage and changing direction from Jerusalem to Makkah are also a part of this surah. Allah commands to offer Salah, give Zakat and observe Fasting and Hajj and to refrain from gambling, alcohol.
5. In this Surah, the qualities of mutaqeen are also described which are Taqwa, Salah, Sadaqah.
6. There are some verses about restoration of life and life after death as well.
7. Verses about oneness of Allah and His greatness shown through all the creations.
Aim of Surah Bakarah:
There are 1000 commandments, 1000 information and 1000 prohibitions in this Surah. This Surah teaches a person the way to live the life in this world. If one follows the commandments of this Surah and restricts itself from the prohibited acts then there are endless blessings of Allah waited for him in this and everlasting world.
Importance of Surah Bakarah
1. Reciting Surah Al Bakarah at home is beneficial for the members of house.
2. This can keep evil powers out of the house.
3. It bring the barakah( blessings) at home and place of work.
4. Evil eyes, magic spells or envy is eliminated by the power of this Surah.
5. Once this Surah is recited in the house then no Satan can enter the house for three consecutive days.
Narrated Abu Hurairah: that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: Do not turn your houses into graves. Indeed Ash-Shaitan does not enter the house in which Surat Al-Baqarah is recited. Jam e tirmazi, book of virtues of Quran, hadith 2877
6.Allah provides additional protection to the house or work place where this Surah is recited.
Narrated Abu Mas’ud: The Prophet said, If somebody recited the last two Verses of Surat Al-Baqara at night, that will be sufficient for him. Sahih bukhari book of virtues of Quran, hadith 5009.
Theme of Surah Bakarah
The theme of this Surah is guidence. This surah actually revolves around jews and the stories related to Moses and other Prophets. Through their examples, Allah threatens the Jews to embrace Islam or they will end up in Hell for their ignorance and arrogance.
(If you find any mistake in this article please feel free to contact us and point it out. We will try to correct it in the light of Quran and Sunnah. May Allah bless us all with the authentic knowledge of Islam. May this effort of ours ease the way of jannah for our family).