Islam has given rights to everyone as it is a practical religion. Like everyone, Islam has given rights to poor and needy. Zakat, a religious tax, is levied on Muslims for the betterment of poor in society. Allah does not like the concept of accumulation of money to some people so for the circulation of money among masses, he has levied Zakat on Muslims.
Who are poor?
Poor is a person who has no sufficient money to live a normal life. The word miskeen is used in Quran for poor or needy. Miskeen means something paused and stopped into that state. Miskeen is one who cannot help themselves because it is from Allah.
Importance from Quran
- Godliness and virtue is not that you should turn your faces in the direction of the east and west; but he is godly and virtuous who believes in God and the Last Day, the angels, the Book, and the Prophets, and gives away of his property with pleasure, although he loves it, to relatives, orphans, the destitute, the wayfarer, and those who have to beg (or who need a loan), and for the liberation of slaves, and establishes the Prayer and pays the Prescribed Purifying Alms. Surah al Bakarah verse 177
- O ye who believe! Lo! many of the (Jewish) rabbis and the (Christian) monks devour the wealth of mankind wantonly and debar (men) from the way of Allah. They who hoard up gold and silver and spend it not in the way of Allah, unto them give tidings (O Muhammad) of a painful doom. surah Touba verse 34
Rights of poor
Following are the rights of poor on rich Muslims.
- Do not chase them away if they call upon you for help.
- If a person is a slave, use your money to free them.
- Giving zakat to poor is a religious duty.
- There is no difference in the status of poor or rich in the eyes of Allah.
- Be merciful and helpful to them.
- Spend money on them.
- Do not bash or thrash poor.
- Talk to them politely.
- Do not insult them or degrade them.
- Do not deprive them of their rights.
- Treat them equally.
- They have more right over ones love and care.
- If one helps them then do not recall the favours in front of others or in loneliness.
- Do not force them to do unlawful acts in return of one’s favours.
- Do not belittle them ever.
Benefits of helping poor
- It is an act of worship to purchase a slave and free them.
- Freeing a slave is expiation of some sins as well.
- Feeding poor is expiation of breaking a fast by intention.
- If one cannot perform the duty of fasting by any reason, he can feed the poor as expiation.
- Giving Zakat to poor can purify the wealth of giver.
- When a person fulfills the needs of needy, Allah will bless the person with more.
- It is considered as the most virtuous act in front of Allah.
importance from hadith
Narrated Safwan bin Salim:The Prophet (ﷺ) said “The one who looks after and works for a widow and for a poor person, is like a warrior fighting for Allah’s Cause or like a person who fasts during the day and prays all the night.” Narrated Abu Huraira that the Prophet (ﷺ) said as above. sahih Bukhari book of good manners hadith 6006
Punishment for not helping poor
The person who is negligent towards poor and their needs will be punished severely on the day of judgement.
(If you find any mistake in this article please feel free to contact us and point it out. We will try to correct it in the light of Quran and Sunnah. May Allah bless us all with the authentic knowledge of Islam. May this effort of ours ease the way of jannah for our family).