Islam is a religion which tells us about the rights and duties and boundaries of every relation. This is a religion which throws light on each and every aspect of life. Every relation whether spouses, parents and children, teachers or neighbors everyone is covered by Islam. Similarly, Islam throws light on the relation of in-laws. What are the duties, rights and restriction implicated on in-laws under Islam are discussed in this topic.
Who are in-laws?
A person who becomes a relative by the bonds of law is called in-law for example mother or sister or father or brother of spouses is called in-laws. The mother of spouse is not mother by nature but by law so she is known as mother in-law. Similarly, the wife is called daughter-in-law and husband is called son-in-law to the family of spouse.
Rights of in-laws
For mother-in-law and father-in-law
A wife is not bound with any duties under the laws of Islam but to respect them. She should respect them but obedience is not her duty. If a wife is doing anything with her free will and for the mercy of Allah, she will be rewarded by Allah (in sha allah) and it is considered an Ehsan but if she is not willing to do anything then there is no sin in it. A husband himself is bound to fulfill the duties for the parents but not the wife. Father-in-law is mehram to daughter-in-law but he also has no right over her. She is not obliged to cook, wash, and work for them. The cultural values of the area should not overrule the commandments of Islam. A son-in-law is not dutiful to his in-laws as well.
For brother-in –law
Brother-in-law is na-mahram for the sister-in-law and it is not right for an adult woman to interact with him or to do something for him. She cannot stay with him alone in the house. According to Islam, brother-in-law is a fitna for the household. Hijab is necessary in front of brother-in-law.
Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) forbade non-mahrams (unrelated men) to enter upon women. He said: “Beware of entering upon women.” One of the Sahaabah said to him, “O Messenger of Allaah, what about the brother-in-law?” He said: “The brother-in-law is death!” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, Fath al-Baari, 9/330).
In-laws are not natural parents
Mother-in-law, sister-in-law or father-in-law are not the parents or siblings for the girl by the rules of Islam so it is not right on the part of the husband to bound her to do their chores.
Restrictions on in-laws
- Do not interfere in the matters of the daughter-in-law or son-in-law.
- Do not interfere in the decisions of the daughter-in-law or son-in-law.
- Do not treat her like a slave.
- Do not criticize her or him.
- Do not taunt her or bash her or him.
- Do not tell your son to abuse her.
- Do not interfere in the matters of her as a mother.
- Do not criticize her or his choices.
- Do not transgress the rights of her or him.
- Do not search around in her belongings.
- Do not use the things of daughter-in-law without her permission.
- Do not oppress daughter-in-law or son-in-law.
- Do not rule her or his life.
- Do not misguide the husband about the wife.
- Do not invoke husband to misbehave with wife.
- Do not interfere in the matters of husband and wife and their children.
Rights of daughter-in-law or son-in-law
- It is their right to live in a separate house.
- It is their right not to work for in-laws.
- It is their right to have privacy.
- It is the right of the daughter-in-law to raise the children with her free will.
- It is their right to live their lives according to their wishes.
Restrictions on daughter-in-law or son-in-law
- It is wrongful for son-in-law or daughter-in-law to oppress their in-laws.
- It is not right to restraint the spouses to meet and serve the parents.
- It is not right for them to restraint the children to meet their grandparents.
- It is not good to invoke the spouses against their families.
- It is not right to interfere in the matters of in-laws.
- It is not permissible to disrespect the in-laws.
If you find any mistake in this article please feel free to contact us and point it out. We will try to correct it in the light of Quran and Sunnah. May Allah bless us all with the authentic knowledge of Islam. May this effort of ours ease the way of jannah for our family).