10th major sin is oppressing an orphan and to falsely devouring his wealth. In Islam, Allah has commanded us to be kind and generous to orphans. There are some people who consume the wealth of the orphans and they will be sent to fire as it is a greater sin. Doing injustice with anyone is prohibited in Islam and orphans are most likely to be treated lovingly by all of us. Orphans are the most neglected section of our society.
Who is an orphan?
An orphan is a child whose father is died before him reaching to the age of puberty. If a child has reached the age of puberty and is father died then he is not an orphan. The death of mother does not make them orphan but the death of father only.
Taking care of orphans
An orphan should be taken care of whether from family or not. Any orphan is actually worthy of care and it is a greatest deed to take care of them.
Protecting and guarding the wealth
A person who is taking care or guarding the wealth of an orphan for him, is doing a great act of kindness and Allah will reward that person for this. A person who maliciously keeps the wealth of orphan in his custody and consumes it for himself and don’t give it the orphan is the one who is cursed by Allah.
Allah’s commandments about Orphans
There are many verses about orphans in Quran. These are the following commandments about orphans
- Do not harden your hearts for orphans
- Don’t rebuke or abuse orphans.
- Honor the orphans.
The new Muslims who has no support
A person, who converts from any other religion to Islam and disowned by his family, is also an orphan in the eyes of Islam. So to protect, and support them is also a duty of other Muslims as well. This is because they can stick to the true religion and did not left it because of hardships.
Marrying a widow
In Islam, marrying a widow is a greatest deed and a woman, who has orphan kids, is bigger deed than this because taking care of an orphan is an act which is recommended by Quran and Sunnah. A person, who prefers to marry a widow over an unmarried girl and an alone widow over a widow with orphans, has done a best deed of all.
Is being orphan a curse?
No, it is not a curse but a reward from Allah. Our beloved Prophet ( PBUH) was an orphan himself. So how it is possible that the best man in this universe, who was a chosen one, will be cursed by Allah? So it is a blessing of Allah.
When to return the money of orphan to him
A child when reach the age of puberty should be handed over his or her money to them unless they want the guardian to keep it for them.
Why Allah put emphasis on taking care of orphans
- Orphans are the ones who have no family; they have no support whether financial, mental or physical.
- It is like taking care of society. We share with them everything what we like for ourselves so that they don’t become thieves or burglars.
- They are in need of your help
- It is a favor of Allah on you to support someone in need.
- The orphans were the most neglected people at the time of Kufaar.
Rights of orphans in Islam
Anyone who is custodian of an orphan should give him these rights.
Right to be raised
The custodian should take cares of the child properly and should not kill him or her for their money.
Love and care
Custodian should nurture the child with love and care.
Right to education
The orphan also has a right to get education so custodian should take measures to get the orphan education.
Orphans should be taught good and productive manners so that he can be a productive member of society later on. They should be taught Islamic manners properly.
Right of inheritance
They have equal right on the inherited money. Wrongful consuming money of orphan will invoke the anger of Allah.
Right to basic necessities
An orphan is subject to receive all the basic necessities like everyone else e.g. food, shelter, clothing etc.
Rights of guardian
The custodian or guardian of an orphan, who is not well off, can take service charge from the money or share of the orphans.
Consequences of not taking care of orphans
Nearly 14 billion people in this world are orphans as per a report by UNICEF. The orphans who were left helpless in orphanage, by a UNICEF report
- 60 % of girls choose prostitution when they reach the age of puberty to earn.
- 70 % of boys end up becoming hardened criminals.
- 10 to 15 % commit suicide before reaching the age of puberty.
- 2 million girls are sexually exploited by others.
- And let those fear as if they had left weak offsprings behind and feared for them. So let then fear Allah and speak words f appropriate justice. Surah al Nissa verse 9
- Indeed, those who devour the property of orphans unjustly are only consuming into their bellies fire and they will be burned in a Blaze. Surah Al Nissa verse 10
- For that is the one who drives away the orphans. Surah al Maoon verse 2
- And test the orphans until they reach in their puberty. then if you perceive in them sound judgement, release their property to them.and do not consume it excessively and quickly. And whoever is sufficient, refrain and whoever is poor, let him take according to what is acceptable. Then when you release their property to them, bring witness upon them and sufficient is Allah as accountant. Surah al Nissa verse 6
Hadith about orphans
- Narrated by Sahi Bin Saad “ The Prophet said, I and the person who looks after an orphan and provides for him, will be in paradise like this, putting his index and middle fingers together. Sahih bukhari book of good manners hadith 6005
(If you find any mistake in this article please feel free to contact us and point it out. We will try to correct it in the light of Quran and Sunnah. May Allah bless us all with the authentic knowledge of Islam. May this effort of ours ease the way of jannah for our family).