Being ungrateful to Allah and to His creation is another sin in Islam. It is very common practice of human beings that they are ungrateful to Allah and take things for granted. we don’t appreciate the bounties of Allah. Surah Rehman is a surah in which Allah tells us about some of His blessings. And then he said that after all those blessing you are still ungrateful. Let us know that what is being ungrateful and its other aspects.
Meaning of being ungrateful
The word used for being ungrateful in Quran is Kufr. This word actually means to cover. So when a person becomes negligent to Allah and His commandments, his heart and soul is covered by the Satan so his state is called kufr. Likewise when a person is being ungrateful, his heart and soul is covered and he is said to be kafir.
Explanation of being ungrateful
Human beings are very impatient and ungrateful as well. He becomes heedless to the blessings of Allah as soon as any difficulty hits him. A person inspite of blessed with everything when negates those or ignores those is said to be ungrateful. People think that these blessings are given to them because they deserve those but this is not the fact. Allah is the one who blesses that’s why He blessed everyone.
The story of Karon ( karoon) and Luqman
- In Surah al Qasas verses 76 to 83, the story of a person Qaron is mentioned. He was very intelligent and wealthy. He was blessed with so much that a whole army was appointed only to take care of his wealth but he was ungrateful to Allah as he thought that whatever he got was just because of his abilities and he deserves to have everything. Once he was roaming around with pride and people were looking at him wishfully to attain what he had got suddenly Allah sent His wrath and Qaron was swallowed by the earth with all his pride.
The purpose of mentioning the story of Qaron in Quran is that if a person thinks that he is getting everything just because he deserves those things then he is lacking something. Being proud of what one have without gratitude is not right and is punishable act. If a person id proud of his achievements but he also considers the fact that everything is given to him by the mercy of Allah then it is right way to live.
- The verses 12 to 19 of Surah Luqman were dedicated to a person Luqman. He was not a Prophet but he was blessed with an immense prestige and honor as Allah had mentioned his name in Quran as a good example to people. Luqman was also very intelligent but as compared to Qaron , he was grateful to Allah. He taught his son to be righteous, patient, and grateful to Allah for what they have.
The mention of Luqman, on the contrary, shows that Allah loves those who are grateful to Him without considering the financial status of that person. Gratitude can bring endless blessings and rewards with it. Allah will bless those who are grateful.
Who are grateful?
A person is said to be grateful if he or she fulfills the three rules
- To appreciate the blessings within his heart
- To appreciate and thank for the blessings by tongue
- do righteous deeds only to express his gratitude towards Allah.
Simplest deed to show ones gratitude
A very small and common word which can shows one’s gratitude toward Allah is the word Alhamdullilah. Besides saying of I am fine r everything is good one should say Alhamdulillah which means Praise is only for Allah. This is the easiest way to show gratitude towards the bestower of all the blessings.
Signs of being ungrateful
A person is said to be ungrateful when he or she behaves in a certain way.
- Whenever calamities confronted them, they always ask Allah why me? Or what have we done?
- They take blessing for granted like health, wealth, children, food, being Muslim, houses, spouses etc.
- They start comparing their lives with others.
- Being proud and consider the blessings as one deserves it.
- Being ungrateful to creation of Allah for any favors they have given.
- Being ungrateful to husband, parents, or any human being.
Punishment of being ungrateful
- The punishment of being ungrateful is that Allah will take everything from them which he has given to them.
- Allah will decrease the blessings.
- In addition to this, Allah will punish them severely in this world and hereafter.
that We repaid them because they disbelieved. And do We [thus] repay except the ungrateful? Surah saba verse 17
Verses from Quran
- And do no turn your cheeks towards people and do not walk through the earth exultantly. Indeed, Allah does not like everyone self-deluded and boastful. Surah Luqman verse 18.
- What would do with your punishment if you are grateful and believe in Allah and ever is Allah appreciative and Knowing. Surah un Nissa verse 147
- Said” o Moses, I have chosen you over the people with my message and my words. So take what I have given you and be among the grateful. Surah al Airaf verse 144
- Say enjoy your being ungrateful for a little, indeed, you are of the companions of the fire. Surah al Zumur verse 8
- So which of the favours of your Lord would you deny? Surah Rehman verse 13
Proof from Hadith
- The Propht (P.B.U.H) said that ” while a man was walking, clad in a two piece garment and proud of himself with his hair well combed, suddenly Allah made him sink into the earth and he will go on sinking into it until the day of resurrection. Sahih Bukhari book of clothing Hadith 5789.
The above mentioned hadith seems to be like said about the Qaron, about whom we have discussed in this topic . He was arrogant and ungrateful so he was diminished by Allah.
- Narrated Ibn ‘Abbas: The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “I was shown the Hell-fire and that the majority of its dwellers were women who were ungrateful.” It was asked, “Do they disbelieve in Allah?” (or are they ungrateful to Allah?) He replied, “They are ungrateful to their husbands and are ungrateful for the favors and the good (charitable deeds) done to them. If you have always been good (benevolent) to one of them and then she sees something in you (not of her liking), she will say, ‘I have never received any good from you.”Sahih al-Bukhari, Vol. 1, Book 2, Hadith 22
- Suhaib ibn Sinan narrated that the Prophet (saws) said: “How remarkable is the case of the believer! There is good for him in everything, but this is not the case for anyone except for the believer. When the believer receives any good, he is thankful to Allah, and gets a reward. And when some misfortune befalls him, he endures it patiently, for which he is (also) rewarded.”
If you find any mistake in this article please feel free to contact us and point it out. We will try to correct it in the light of Quran and Sunnah. May Allah bless us all with the authentic knowledge of Islam. May this effort of ours ease the way of jannah for our family.