There are nearly 33 spiritual diseases of heart. These diseases of heart are very dangerous and disliked by Allah. One of them is arrogance. Arrogance is a major sin as well. Allah don’t like those who are arrogant and proud. It is a common sin which is bad for ones spirituality. Pride in a positive way is good which leads towards gratefulness. On the other hand, arrogance is something which leads a person towards badness.
Meaning of Arrogance
The word arrogance is takabur in Arabic which is derived from Kibr. The word kibr means greatness or perfection in positive connotation and arrogance in negative connotation. According to scholars, Kibr is made up of two components. When a person has these, it means he is arrogant
- the rejection of truth
- to degrades others.
Explanation of arrogance
If one takes this definition then he can understand that the only one who is perfect, indeed, is Allah. The word “Kibr” in its negative connotation means arrogance whereas in positive connotation its greatness. The greatness and perfection is used for Allah and when this word is used for a man then it is used in negative connotation. The only reason is that a person can never be perfect so how can he do “Kibr”.
Types of arrogance
There are three types of arrogance which is categorised by scholars. These types are
- Arrogance towards Allah
- Arrogance towards Prophets
- Arrogance towards people
Arrogance towards Allah
It is a type where people are arrogant towards Allah. This does not only include kufaar but it also includes those who ignore the obligations of Islam.
Indeed, those who dispute concerning the signs of Allah, without authority having come to them. There is not within their breasts except pride, Which they cannot reach. So seek refuge in Allah. Indeed, it is He who is Hearing, the seeing. Surah al Momin verse 56
Arrogance towards Prophets
A person who does not accept the commandments of Prophets and their messages is arrogant as well. The person who thinks that Prophet Muhammad is not the last prophet is arrogant as well so not believing in Prophets is arrogance.
Arrogance towards people
Another and the most common type of arrogance is towards the people. A person who considers himself superior than others and behaves in a manner by which other feels belittle is called arrogance.
Why arrogance is a sin?
Arrogance is the first sin which was taken place. Satan was the first one who becomes arrogant and in his arrogance questions the action of Allah. So arrogance is path of Satan which should not be followed by a Muslim. Satan was a Jinn but he was very pious and considered as an angel but because of his arrogance he was cursed and all his good deeds were wiped out. See Surah al Airaf verse 12
Allah said” what prevented you from prostrating when I commanded you? Satan said “ I am better than him, you created me from fire and created him from clay.
Why to avoid arrogance?
- A person starts to question Allah that why this was done or why me. Iblees was the first one to question the actions of Allah because he became arrogant.
- Arrogance is the path of children of Isreal as well. It is a Hadith that at the end of times, people will follow the footsteps of children of Isreal. They were destroyed because of their arrogance and pride.
Characteristics of arrogant people
Following are the characteristics of arrogant people.
- One who denies the truth of things in normal day to day life
- Person who belittle others
- Thinking of yourself superior than others
- Believing that one is special on basis of anything like color, gender, money, status, clothes, family etc
Effects of arrogance on people
Arrogance is dangerous for the people spiritually and socially. The one who is arrogant can have following effects on him.
- The first thing which is the result of arrogance is people started degrading other humans which is disliked by Allah.
- Kibr will invalidate the Iman of people so one should avoid it.
- Kibr seals the heart of a person so that he cannot hear the truth.
- Kibr can overcome ones good habits and personality.
- Arrogant people stop to be grateful and thankful to Allah.
- They forget about their death and day of judgement.
How to avoid arrogance
There are many ways to cure arrogance. Some of them are
- If one finds the signs of Ajab (being proud of oneself but don’t tell others about it) in itself, he or she should try to avoid it.
- One should try to know itself
- One should learn from the experience of others that it is bad.
- Worship Allah because the main aim of worship is to destroy pride.
- One should think of himself as he is like everyone else and not superior to them.
Punishment for arrogance
- Allah said “ Get out of Paradise, reproached and expelled. Whoever follows you among them, I will surely fill Hell with you all together. Surah al Airaf verse 18
The above verse shows that anyone who follows the footsteps of Satan will be thrown into hell with him so arrogance is the path of Satan.
- Indeed those who deny our verses and are arrogant towards them, the gates of heaven will not be opened for them, nor will they enter paradise until a camel enters into they eye of needle. And thus do we recompense the criminals. Surah al Airaf verse 40
Proof from Quran
- And on the day of resurrection, you will see those who lied about Allah with their faces blackened. Is there not in Hell a residence for the arrogant? Surah al Zumur verse 60
- It will be said, “enter the gates of Hell to abide eternally therein, and wretched is the residence of the arrogant” Surah al Zumur verse 72.
- Does Allah seal over every heart of an arrogant tyrant. Surah al Momin verse 35.
- Your god is one God. But those who do not believe in the hereafter, their hearts are disapproving, and they are arrogant. Surah al Nahal verse 22.
- Never would the Messiah disdain to be the servant of Allah, nor could the angels near. And whoever disdains His worship and is arrogant, He will gather them to Himself all together. Surah An-Nissa verse 172.
proof from hadith
- Allah’s apostle said ” Allah will not look at the person who drags his garment out of arrogance” Sahih Bukhari book of clothing hadith 5783.
- The Propht (P.B.U.H) said that ” while a man was walking, clad in a two piece garment and proud of himself with his hair well combed, suddenly Allah made him sink into the earth and he will go on sinking into it until the day of resurrection. Sahh Bukhari book of clothing Hadith 5789.
(If you find any mistake in this article please feel free to contact us and point it out. We will try to correct it in the light of Quran and Sunnah. May Allah bless us all with the authentic knowledge of Islam. May this effort of ours ease the way of Jannah for our family.)