Al Raheem means extremely kind. This is the second attribute of Allah Almighty. This name is used in Quran for 114 times.
Explanation of Al Raheem
This attribute shows the extreme kindness of Allah which is in fact endless, immediate and permanent. The urge to do good deeds is also a part of Allah’s mercy. He made us Muslims and His promise of Jannah is also due to His kindness. It is also a sign of His mercy that He forgives our sins very easily.
Proof of Al Raheem in Quran
- Then Adam received from his Lord [some] words, and He accepted his repentance. Indeed, it is He who is the Accepting of repentance, the Merciful. Surah Bakara verse 37.
- Say, [O Muhammad], “It has been revealed by He who knows [every] secret within the heavens and the earth. Indeed, He is ever Forgiving and Merciful.” Surah Furqaan verse 6.
- Do they not know that it is Allah who accepts repentance from His servants and receives charities and that it is Allah who is the Accepting of repentance, the Merciful? Surah Tauba verse 104
Use of Al Raheem in Quran
The word Al Raheem is used in Quran alone as well as with other names like Ghafoor-ur-raheem, Tawab-ur-raheem, Rehmaan-ur-raheem, Aziz-ur-raheem.
Difference between Al Rahman and Al Raheem
- Allah is Al Rahman for the whole creation whether human beings or animals, angels or anything but He is Al-Raheem only for Muslim ummah.
- His mercy by being Al Rahman is for all creation but mercy by being Al Raheem is for Muslims only.
- By being Al Rahman, He created this universe and everything in it and by being Al Raheem, He is forgiving our sins.
The use of Al Rahman and Al Raheem together
The attributes Al Rahman and Al Raheem are used in Quran together several times like ,
” بسم اللہ الرحمن الرحیم”
Surah Fatiha verse 2, Surah Noor verse 20, Surah Toor verse 28, Surah Al Imran Verse 3 and many more.
Invocation through this attribute
By reciting this name countlessly, we remind Allah that He is the most merciful and we are dependent on Him for everything. We demand His permanent kindness in each and every aspect of our life. We want Him to forgive us and to guide us in spite of all our sins and bad deeds. Demand His endless blessings through this attribute.
(If you find any mistake in this article please feel free to point it out and contact us. We will try to correct it in the light of Quran and Sunnah. May Allah bless us all with the authentic knowledge of Islam. May this effort of ours ease the way of Jannah for our family. Amin.)