Al Jabbar means the Powerful. This attribute is used in Quran only once and the Islamic scholars gives three meanings to this name.
- Al Jabbar shows that everything happens with the will of Allah almighty.
- Allah is powerful, superior and overpowering.
- Allah is the rectifier and the one who chooses the best for His creation.
Explanation of Al Jabbar
Al Jabbar means that Allah is the most powerful one. When He aims to do anything, it happens itself. No one can change His decision. There is no one who can empower Him. Everything in this universe is under his absolute control. He is the protector and rectifier. When someone feels helpless, He alone enough to help him. When someone is constantly facing defeats, He alone can make him successful. He is the absolute in His powers and Might.
Use of this Attribute in Quran
The word “Jabbar” or “Jabireen” is used in Quran 9 times in total but Al Jabbar is used only once for Allah Almighty. There is a huge difference between these words. Al Jabbar is used in Surah Al Hashr for Allah which shows His might but word Jabbar is used for the non-believers who don’t believe and disregarding.
- He is Allah , other than whom there is no deity, the Sovereign, the Pure, the Perfection, the Bestower of Faith, the Overseer, the Exalted in Might, the Compeller, the Superior. Exalted is Allah above whatever they associate with Him. Surah al Hashr verse 23.
Use of Word Jabbar in Quran
Given below are verses in which word Jabbar is used.
- And when you strike, you strike as tyrants. Surah al Shooraa verse 130
- They said, “O Moses, indeed within it is a people of tyrannical strength, and indeed, we will never enter it until they leave it; but if they leave it, then we will enter.” Surah al Maeda verse 22.
Difference between Jabbar and Al Jabbar
- The word Jabbar is used for human beings while Al Jabbar is used for Allah.
- The word Jabbar has a negative impact whereas the word Al Jabbar is used in a positive context.
- It is not reasonable and advisable for a human being to use his power on someone else or to empower another Allah alone has the right to empower everyone.
Invocation through Al Jabbar
It is narrated in a Hadith that the beloved Prophet of Allah said “recite
“اللھم اغفرلی وارحمنی و اھدنی و جبرنی وعافنی ورزقنی و رفعنی”
Between two prostrations to Allah during every salah.
This Kalima is very powerful and word Jabarni used here means to rectify me. When a person asks for Allah’s help through this reciting this name countlessly, then Allah will help Him. To gain success, strength, power, rectification, it is recommended to recite this name.
(if you find any mistake in this article please feel free to contact us and point it out. We will try to correct it in the light of Quran and Sunnah. May Allah bless us all with the authentic knowledge of Islam. May this effort of ours ease the way of Jannah for our family. Amin)