Ablution means to purify. Ablution is a kind of taharah but on the smaller scale.
Explanation of Ablution
Ablution means to purify the evident or uncovered parts of the body from any kind of dust, like face, arms, hands and feet.
How to perform Ablution
Following are the steps to follow to perform ablution.
- Recite Bismillah
- Wash both hands
- Clean nose three times.
- Gargle three times
- Wash face three times covering area between both the ears and from the hairline to the chin.
- Wash both arms till elbows.
- Wash the feet till ankles.
- Reciting Shahadah
- To follow the pattern of Ablution properly
Mandatory acts in Ablution
There are only four things mandatory during Ablution and others are permissible or Sunnah. Without them, Ablution can be done.
- Washing face
- Washing arms till elbows
- Masah of 3/4th of the head
- Washing feet till ankles
How to Perform Masah
Firstly the wet hands are rubbed over the hairs then the point fingers rubbed inside the ear and at the same time, the thumbs are rubbed behind the ears. The back of the hands then, rubbed at the upper back area of the neck. The hands must not be rubbed at front neck because it is prohibited. It is also very common. Practice of people to kiss the hands and then touch the eyes with their hands before starting masah but there is no evidence of this practice in Sunnah.
Benefits of Ablution
We all know that each and every command of Allah is beneficial for us in day to day life. These commandments are not only beneficial spiritually but physically as well. These benefits are proved by science also. There are many benefits of wudu some are known to us and some are unknown. This article aimed to tell you about the physical and spiritual benefits of wudu.
Washing Our Hands
When a person washes his hands five times a day, the germs and dirt washes away and it saves him from getting sick.
Benefits of Gargling
When one gargle five times in a day, he can avoid many diseases effecting the mouth, teeth, tongue.
Benefits of Cleaning the Nose
When someone puts the water in the nose, he gets rid of the dirt in the nose and the germs are cleaned as well so it saves the person from getting sick and saves the person from catching cough and cold.
Benefits of Washing the Face
There are many benefits of washing the face.
- By washing the face, the dirt is cleaned from it.
- It prevents from pimples.
- It acts as anti aging.
- By washing the face, the eyes are also cleaned and get wet. This wetting of eyes saves the eyes from a very dangerous did due to the dryness of eyes and it can even effect the eyesight and can make a person blind.
- Washing one face five times a day also have good effects on chest, small intestine and large intestine.
- Mental diseases and weakness can b lessen by this practice.
Washing the Arms
When someone washes his arms it helps in regulating the blood circulation.
Washing the Backside of Neck
- In the back area of the neck, the medulla is situated which is connected to spinal cord and all the joints of the body, washing this area provides the power to the spinal cord and all the joints of the body.
- This practice gives energy to the whole body.
- When someone washing the back side of neck with water, the medulla gets cold which saves the person from brain hemorrhage.
- The fatigue is vanished.
- If this part of neck is over dried then it causes several mental diseases so by keeping it wet, a person can defeat mental and physical illnesses.
It is proven by science that our feet are connected with every part of body and massaging them has good effects on our body so when a person washes his feet five times a day and massages it between the fingers and underneath, many health problems can b lessen.
Spiritual Benefits of Wudu
- It provides peace to human mind.
- It helps washes out many minor sins.
- In the condition of wudu, black magic cannot overpowers the person.
- In the condition of wudu, devil and evil powers cannot harm oneself.
- On the day of judgement, the face of the person will become shinny and radiant.
Narrated Nu`am Al-Mujmir: Once I went up the roof of the mosque, along with Abu Huraira. He perform ablution and said, I heard the Prophet saying, On the Day of Resurrection, my followers will be called Al-Ghurr–ul– Muhajjalun from the trace of ablution and whoever can increase the area of his radiance should do so (i.e. by performing ablution regularly).’ Sahih Bukhari book of ablution Hadith 136.
Proof from Quran
As Verse 6 from Surah Al Maeda narrates the right way and the necessity of the ablution.
O you who have believed, when you rise to [perform] prayer, wash your faces and your forearms to the elbows and wipe over your heads and wash your feet to the ankles. And if you are in a state of janabah, then purify yourselves. But if you are ill or on a journey or one of you comes from the place of relieving himself or you have contacted women and do not find water, then seek clean earth and wipe over your faces and hands with it. Allah does not intend to make difficulty for you, but He intends to purify you and complete His favor upon you that you may be grateful.
Proof from Hadith
Our beloved Prophet Hazrat Muhammad(P.B.U.H) also showed the right way of ablution through his teachings as well as acts.
Narrated `Ata’ bin Yasar: Ibn `Abbas performed ablution and washed his face (in the following way): He ladled out a handful of water, rinsed his mouth and washed his nose with it by putting in water and then blowing it out. He then, took another handful (of water) and did like this (gesturing) joining both hands, and washed his face, took another handful of water and washed his right forearm. He again took another handful of water and washed his left forearm, and passed wet hands over his head and took another handful of water and poured it over his right foot (up to his ankles) and washed it thoroughly and similarly took another handful of water and washed thoroughly his left foot (up to the ankles) and said, I saw Allah’s Apostle performing ablution in this way.
Sahih Bukhari Book of Ablution Hadith 140
Narrated `Aisha: The Prophet used to like to start from the right side on wearing shoes, combing his hair and cleaning or washing himself and on doing anything else.
Sahih Bukhari Book of Ablution Hadith 168
(If you find any mistake in this article please feel free to contact us and point it put. We will try to correct it in the light of Quran and Sunnah. May Allah bless us all with authentic knowledge of Islam. May this effort of ours ease the way to Jannah for our family Amin.)